The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abolute majority

Guest francie

Our non-profit is attempting to amend the bylaws. We currently have 17 directors. The bylaws state the Board may amend the bylaws with a "supermajority". What does that mean? Is that 2/3 of 17 or 2/3 of those who attend the meeting. More specifically, is 2/3 of 17 =11 or does it equal 12 because 2/3 of 17= 11.333. Do you round up or down?

RONR doesn't define a "super-majority" though it would seem to be logical to interpret that to mean that it has to be more than a majority. Not sure why you think that means 2/3 because a super-majority could be anything from more than 1/2+1 to 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%.

RONR does not refer to a "Super Majority" - this would be up to the organization to decide, and perhaps the entire Board should first agree on an amendment process that is appropriate and then amend the By-laws by a unanimous vote first. I'd suggest making a clear statement such as "by 2/3 majority" or "3/4 majority", and followed by "of votes casts", "of members present" or "of the entire membership".

Once you do this, then you can proceed with the other amendments.

Edited to correct a typo.

RONR does not refer to a "Super Majority" - this would be up to the organization to decide, and perhaps the entire Board should first agree on an amendment process that is appropriate and then amend the By-laws by a unanimous vote first. I'd suggest making a clear statement such as "by 2/3 majority" or "3/4 majority", and folloed by "of votes casts", "of members present" or "of the entire membership".

Once you do this, then you can proceed with the other amendments.

Those are clear statements, Ed?

Our non-profit is attempting to amend the bylaws. We currently have 17 directors. The bylaws state the Board may amend the bylaws with a "supermajority". What does that mean? Is that 2/3 of 17 or 2/3 of those who attend the meeting. More specifically, is 2/3 of 17 =11 or does it equal 12 because 2/3 of 17= 11.333. Do you round up or down?

There is no rounding in RONR.

So you would need 11 1/3 votes.

11 is less than 11 1/3 votes so fails.

12 is more than 11 1/3 votes so pass.

Those are clear statements, Ed?

Okay, I corrected me typo - but here a few clear "clear" options:

"The By-laws may be amended by the Board of Directors on a ..."

1) 2/3 vote

a) "... by a two-thirds vote of votes cast."

B) "... by a two thirds vote of members present."

c) "... by a two thrids vote of the entire Board."

2) 3/4 vote

a) "... by a three-quarters (3/4) vote of votes cast."

B) "... by a three-quarters (3/4) vote of members present."

c) "... by a three-quarters (3/4) vote of the entire Board."

If your bylaws state that they can only be amended with a super majority, you'll need to interpret your bylaws to figure out what the heck is meant by that - there is no one definition of "supermajority".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

Oh, and when you're amending them, do amend that section as well, OK?

There are various principals of bylaw interpretation laid out in RONR.

"supermajority". What does that mean?

Well, I'll relate a conversation I had with the folks at Arm & Hammer, makers of among other things, a product called "Super Washing Soda". I called them and said I was looking for something that was pure sodium carbonate, i.e., "regular" washing soda, and asked them what other ingredients they added to theirs.

They said that their product was 100% sodium carbonate.

I asked, "Well, then what makes it "super"?

"Well," said the lady, "we like to think that it is very good sodium carbonate.

So, maybe a super majority is the same as a regular majority, just a very good one.

Archived