The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending minutes

Andy Travis

Are the amendments accepted through unanimous consent or is a vote needed since a motion to amend something previously adopted was put before the board?

It's the usual process for unanimous consent in nearly any context:  If there is no objection, the motion passes without a vote.  If there is any objection, the question is put to a vote.

It's the usual process for unanimous consent in nearly any context:  If there is no objection, the motion passes without a vote.  If there is any objection, the question is put to a vote.

I'm afraid that it is definitely not usual to ask for unanimous consent for the adoption of a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

So by what Mr. Honemann is saying, then if the motion to amend the previously adopted minutes is put forth, does a formal vote need to take place and not just unanimous consent?

No, that's not what Mr. Honemann said.   Mr. Honemann was responding to a comment by Mr. Novosielski.  What Mr. Honemann said, or what I believe he was trying to say, is that it is not usual to ask for unanimous consent to amend something previously adopted. 

A motion to amend something previously adopted, including an amendment to minutes previously approved, may absolutely be done by unanimous consent.  

So by what Mr. Honemann is saying, then if the motion to amend the previously adopted minutes is put forth, does a formal vote need to take place and not just unanimous consent?

I think all he means is it's typically best just to state the question and dispose of it in the normal manner as it's not suited well for questions such as this.

"In cases where there seems to be no opposition in routine business or on questions of little importance, time can often be saved by the procedure of unanimous consent, or as it was formerly also called, general consent. Action in this manner is in accord with the principle that rules are designed for the protection of the minority and generally need not be strictly enforced when there is no minority to protect."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 54 (emphasis added by me)

Motions to amend something previously adopted typically aren't routine or of little importance.

I'm afraid that it is definitely not usual to ask for unanimous consent for the adoption of a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

That's right.  I didn't mean to say that ASPA is usually adopted by unanimous consent, but rather to say that if a request for unanimous consent is made in this context (and it would be in order to do so), then it is handled in the way that is usual for such requests.

This would probably be a rare occurrence, but it's not hard to imagine a scenario:  If someone discovered that a resolution was passed to "pant the clubhouse" it might be easy to get unanimous consent to amend that resolution, as long as the sewing and installation of the pants was not already completed.

:)

Archived