The Official RONR Q & A Forums

1st and 2nd

Guest Pam Claes

If a board gets caught up in discussion of a resolution and fails to do a first and second motion to approve and just votes and approves the resolution without a motion to approve does the board have to vote over at the next meeting on that resolution? 

If a board gets caught up in discussion of a resolution and fails to do a first and second motion to approve and just votes and approves the resolution without a motion to approve does the board have to vote over at the next meeting on that resolution? 

Are you saying your board's MO is:

make a motion/resolution;

then discuss it;

then make a motion to approve it (first time)

then make a motion to approve it (2nd time)?

But what happened this time was:

a motion/resolution was made;

then it was discussed;

then you voted on it?

If so, what happened is basically what should happen per RONR. The first scenario is not.  Forgive me if I misunderstood your scenario.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your scenario.

You weren't the only one. I think Mr. Harrison was thinking the question was about adopting a motion when it hadn't been seconded but I wasn't so sure. I just couldn't come up with a succinct way to express my confusion. You did better than I would have.

Hopefully Ms. Claes will return to set us straight (to the extent that can be accomplished!).

No (RONR pp. 250-251).

Are you saying your board's MO is:

make a motion/resolution;

then discuss it;

then make a motion to approve it (first time)

then make a motion to approve it (2nd time)?

But what happened this time was:

a motion/resolution was made;

then it was discussed;

then you voted on it?

If so, what happened is basically what should happen per RONR. The first scenario is not.  Forgive me if I misunderstood your scenario.

Hi all,

I was not at the meeting so I had to listen to the recording to discover the sequence of events.  What happened was the board president read the resolution and a discussion started among the board members about the resolution.  Once discussion ended they just voted on the resolution.  There was no first or second motion, just a vote on the resolution. 

Thanks again for your help,

Pam

Hi all,

I was not at the meeting so I had to listen to the recording to discover the sequence of events.  What happened was the board president read the resolution and a discussion started among the board members about the resolution.  Once discussion ended they just voted on the resolution.  There was no first or second motion, just a vote on the resolution. 

Pam

The vote was valid and all is well.  It's too late now to raise a point of order about it, as Mr. Harrison noted.

This business of two votes on a resolution is not a rule from RONR.  Is it one of your association rules?  If so, get rid of it.

I didn't read that in any of her facts, so perhaps there is confusion.  I think she was just wondering if they had to start anew given the messy procedure.

Hi all,

Pam

You basically just restated the confusing part.  Again, what you describe as actually having happened sounds basically like proper procedure.  What you're implying you think perhaps should have happened is quite confusing and doesn't sound proper, to me anyway.

You basically just restated the confusing part. Again, what you describe as actually having happened sounds basically like proper procedure. What you're implying you think perhaps should have happened is quite confusing and doesn't sound proper, to me anyway.

I believe what the OP is trying to say is that the chair read a resolution which had not been made or seconded, and (after debate) a vote was taken on this resolution.

I believe what the OP is trying to say is that the chair read a resolution which had not been made or seconded, and (after debate) a vote was taken on this resolution.

Your guess is as good as any.

But if this was a small board (where the chair could participate fully and seconds aren't required) doesn't reading the resolution constitute making a motion to adopt the resolution?

But if this was a small board (where the chair could participate fully and seconds aren't required) doesn't reading the resolution constitute making a motion to adopt the resolution?

That's probably what should have happened, but since the board does not appear to be aware of either of these things, I don't know why the chair was reading the resolution.

Archived