The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Taking Action on Minutes Before Approval

Daniel S.

From what I understand most organizations do not officially adopt the minutes from a meeting until the next meeting. If that is the case then how does one go about executing instructions from a motion from one meeting if those minutes have not been adopted. In our organization we have business that needs to be accomplished immediately and cannot wait for the next meeting for the minutes to be approved. I cannot find where RONR addresses this situation but I am a new student to this. Please advise.

I wonder what Mr Mervosh and Mr huynh would suggest if, say, the minutes ate the minutes of the election meeting or annual meeting at which new officers were elected and the assembly adopted motions to change the signatories on the bank accounts or even to change banks and the banks won't accept draft, unapproved minutes? 

BTW, the meeting is over and no committee was appointed to approve the minutes.

Amended to add: I know of an organization that is having this very issue at this very moment

32 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I wonder what Mr Mervosh and Mr huynh would suggest if, say, the minutes ate the minutes of the election meeting or annual meeting at which new officers were elected and the assembly adopted motions to change the signatories on the bank accounts or even to change banks and the banks won't accept draft, unapproved minutes? 

The bank my NAP unit and my AIP chapter use does not look that closly at whether the minutes have been approved; they just want a signed document. But in any event, the motioin still is effective when adopted. Whether a third party will recognize the action is a different issue. And even if the action can't be accomplised immediately, presumably it will be at some time, once the bank accepts the approved minutes.

9 hours ago, Daniel S. said:

How does one go about executing instructions from a motion from one meeting if those minutes have not been adopted?

MYTH: Minutes must be approved for those adopted motion to take effect.

FACT: Motions become official upon adoption.

Even if the minutes never get approved, it it the act of adoption which is the start of enforceability of any action.

8 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

BTW, the meeting is over and no committee was appointed to approve the minutes.

Amended to add: I know of an organization that is having this very issue at this very moment

Even if minutes can't be produced because somebody ate them, all that is usually required is to to provide the bank with a certified copy of the adopted banking resolutions.  :)

14 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Even if minutes can't be produced because somebody ate them, all that is usually required is to to provide the bank with a certified copy of the adopted banking resolutions.  :)

But here we are dealing with the odd case where the minutes ate themselves, it appears.  This has shades, perhaps, of Abraham and Terach.  

"The minutes cannot eat the minutes, they can't act at all!  They're just paper!"

"Why, then, do you worship them so?"

In any event, to the OP:  If motions did not take effect until the minutes were approved, how would parliamentary motions be handled?  How would we adjourn?

Archived