The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ebook version of RONR 11 ed?

Guest Jeffrey ABell

Guest Jeffrey ABell

Is there a Kindle or ebook version of RONR 11 ed out there?  In my search I have been very dissapointed to find that the CD-ROM seems to be the only way to get an updated electronic version.  I have the print copy of course, but I need something  I can access readily and effectively on my laptop during meetings.  The CD-ROM is  unacceptable for a couple of reasons:

1) The CD-ROM is incredibly expensive -- whether you think of it as a reference book or a piece of software.  While a member parliamentarian might be able to justify the purchase of the CD-ROM as a reference, it is out of the price range for the average organization member.  

2) Members of organizations are increasingly moving toward electronic media so that they can have the material with them at all times and thus take advantage of it on their phones or eReaders during meetings.  Members are generally encouraged to know their parliamentary authority and thus should purchase it.  But an electronic version is not possible since the CD-ROM version can't be migrated to a phone -- as far as I can tell.   

3) Many computers don't even have CD-ROM drives anymore.  This is particular true for laptops, which are most likely to be used during meetings where a quick search of RONR might be warranted.  I have a laptop that I use for my parliamentarian work and I can't even install the CD-ROM. 

I am struck in today's age that an electronic version of the latest RONR is not available in more formats and at a more accessible price.  When the 1915 version is the only one available online -- thanks to the 100 year copyright expiration and some dedicated folks taking the time to post it on the web -- I wonder why RONR is so far behind the times?   Perhaps there are other options that I have missed in my search?  If so, I would love to be enlightened.  If not,  I wonder why anyone would recommend RONR as a parliamentary authority for a new organization, as opposed to AIPSC?  AIPSC has an ebook version that is searchable and less than 1/4 the price of the RONR CD-ROM.

I agree with the general thrust, and I would add that the ability to control-f would be very valuable.  But I'm confused by this:

6 hours ago, Guest Jeffrey ABell said:

Members of organizations are increasingly moving toward electronic media so that they can have the material with them at all times and thus take advantage of it on their phones or eReaders during meetings.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but a book seems ideally suited for bringing to meetings and referencing.

6 hours ago, Guest Jeffrey ABell said:

f not,  I wonder why anyone would recommend RONR as a parliamentary authority for a new organization, as opposed to AIPSC? 

Because it's better :-) Or, if you prefer, because it is more protective of the rights of minorities, and of the assembly vis-a-vis the chair.

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but a book seems ideally suited for bringing to meetings and referencing.

I think what he is getting at is that members will always have their smartphone on them, but most people do not carry a copy of RONR or RONR In Brief at all times.

Edited by Josh Martin

• 1 year later...

an ebook would be searchable. A lot easier for most people. Keeping it on dead trees only serves to do nothing but further empower those who claim they know parliamentary procedure to use it as a weapon over those that don't. 

If it's something that is important to your organization, you may want to consider enshrining in your bylaws using the 4th edition of Roberts Rules as your parliamentary authority as this is the newest version in the public domain. 

An ebook version of RONR was available for a brief time on Amazon but has long since been removed.  Several of our contributors were fortunate enough to get it while it was still available.  I believe RONR in Brief was still available as an e-book though, last time I checked.

However, the 11th edition is available on CD-ROM for Windows devices.  It is searchable and is very useful.  You can read about it and find a link to order it on the main website.   The e-book version is also searchable, but has one major drawback:  The pagination is different from RONR, making it difficult (if not impossible) to give direct page citations to RONR without doing more research and cross referencing.

Here is a link to discussion of the CD-ROM version on the main website:  https://www.robertsrules.com/default.html

2 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

Unless I am misremembering, we were told at the NAP Convention that the 12th edition (due out in August 2020) will have an e-book version available. And the pagination won't matter becuase the citation format will change to (if I recall correctly) a paragraph and section format.

This is basically correct.

• 4 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.