The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Locating quote from Robert's Rules of Order

Dottie Baker

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
3 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Looks like the Copyright has been renewed so no public domain for you.  In other words, if you found it online it probably shouldn't have been there.  You will need to go to your local library or bookstore to get a copy of it.

The 1923 version should enter the public domain next year according to Cornell's excellent chart of copyright term.

My copy, which is the Bicentennial Edition, has a prefatory note by Henry M. Robert III and an introduction by Mrs. G. Frederick Norman, President of the National Association of Parliamentarians and has a copyright date of 1975 by Irvington Publishers, Inc.  It also shows a previous copyright by The Century Company in 1923 and a copyright renewal  by Mrs. Isabel H. Robert in 1953.  Mine also says this edition is dedicated "to The National Association of Parliamentarians, who have encouraged its publication".

I guess the question at hand is whether these new copyrights start the copyright clock running from scratch.  I don't know.  Do any of you?

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

My copy, which is the Bicentennial Edition, has a prefatory note by Henry M. Robert III and an introduction by Mrs. G. Frederick Norman, President of the National Association of Parliamentarians and has a copyright date of 1975 by Irvington Publishers, Inc.  It also shows a previous copyright by The Century Company in 1923 and a copyright renewal  by Mrs. Isabel H. Robert in 1953.  Mine also says this edition is dedicated "to The National Association of Parliamentarians, who have encouraged its publication".

I guess the question at hand is whether these new copyrights start the copyright clock running from scratch.  I don't know.  Do any of you?

My hard copy of the 4th edition (1915) has a preface from Henry M. Robert, III is copyrighted in 1971.  The text of the 4th edition has appeared online for at least a decade, but without the preface; it also contains a copyright from 1951 (which I would assume was the renewal).  The 4th and 5th editions are copyrighted in 1943 and 1951, respectively.

I actually do have a copy of Parliamentary Law that contains no prefaces, except from General Robert, which contains no later date than 1923.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.