The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic minutes

Guest Keyz Mike

in today’s era of technology would it be OK to distribute meeting minutes and agenda to the board for approval via email? In addition, to those without email access, I’d be willing to project them from my phone to a whiteboard for sharing. 

One of our board members tries to be a stickler for procedure and claims that this would not be acceptable. 

The other members of the board concur with me. They agree that this would not only save paper and ink, it would avoid the waste of over printing or copying. 

10 hours ago, Guest Keyz Mike said:

in today’s era of technology would it be OK to distribute meeting minutes and agenda to the board for approval via email? In addition, to those without email access, I’d be willing to project them from my phone to a whiteboard for sharing. 

One of our board members tries to be a stickler for procedure and claims that this would not be acceptable. 

The other members of the board concur with me. They agree that this would not only save paper and ink, it would avoid the waste of over printing or copying. 

Sending the minutes by email is fine - which will address the board’s concerns regarding the paper, ink, printing, and copying. The approval itself, however, must happen at a meeting (which appears to be what is suggested, given the reference to projecting the minutes on a whiteboard).

What you are sending out by email are draft minutes, and I see nothing wrong with that. Agreeing with my colleagues, the actual approval should happen at a meeting.

I am not a fan of only keeping electronic records. And this leads to a suggestion that may satisfy your stickler. The secretary brings one hard copy to the meeting which any member is free to review at the time the minutes are approved. Corrections, if any, are made on that hard copy, and once approved the hard copy is signed as the official minutes of the previous meeting. This hard copy then gets put into the official records of the association.

The electronic record can be kept as a backup. And this way, only one printed copy exists, thus saving paper and ink from having multiple copies circulating.

5 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Sending the minutes by email is fine - which will address the board’s concerns regarding the paper, ink, printing, and copying. The approval itself, however, must happen at a meeting (which appears to be what is suggested, given the reference to projecting the minutes on a whiteboard).

Just to be clear, at the meeting, the chair would ask for corrections, and if there are none, declare the minutes approved.  It should  not be overly difficult to approve the draft minutes at a meeting. 

Edited by J. J.
plugging the not hole. :)

On 8/7/2018 at 11:04 PM, Guest Keyz Mike said:

The reading aloud of minutes can be omitted by unanimous consent if all members receive an advance draft.  In my opinion, this could be an electronic or paper copy.  I would suggest, however that paper copies be sent in advance to those without e-mail, so that they have time to review them, and are not at a disadvantage to those who have e-mail.

However, if your stickler wishes to stickle, remember that even if all members receive advance drafts, the minutes must be read aloud at the meeting upon the demand of a single member.

I concur with those who have pointed out that approval may only happen at a meeting, absent some pretty fancy bylaws provisions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.