The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can an individual nominate himself for an office

Guest TerryM

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind is that in a contested election, one will lose unless they have the vote of someone else.  Having someone else nominate you is a demonstration that you have at least *some* support for your candidacy.  OTOH, if the chairman calls for nominations, and there are not after a bit, "Sure, I'll do it." is often shortly followed by an election via acclamation.

4 minutes ago, Nathan Zook said:

One thing to keep in mind is that in a contested election, one will lose unless they have the vote of someone else.  Having someone else nominate you is a demonstration that you have at least *some* support for your candidacy.  OTOH, if the chairman calls for nominations, and there are not after a bit, "Sure, I'll do it." is often shortly followed by an election via acclamation.

Oh yes.  I've chaired an election meeting where the call for nominations for Secretary was followed by what seemed an eternity of silence.  Members took a sudden and intense interest in their fingernails, or the ceiling tiles, until someone finally broke the silence with, "Okay already, I'll do it", followed by an uncontested election.

22 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Oh yes.  I've chaired an election meeting where the call for nominations for Secretary was followed by what seemed an eternity of silence.  Members took a sudden and intense interest in their fingernails, or the ceiling tiles, until someone finally broke the silence with, "Okay already, I'll do it", followed by an uncontested election.

My most recent one was in December.  :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.