The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Decisions

Guest Brooke

The president of our Board believes that they have the authority to make executive decisions unilaterally impacting the Chapter. My main concern is that they believe they have this ability when it comes to contentious issues. This is not delineated in our bylaws and to my knowledge is not granted by Robert's Rules but would love if someone can confirm or provide clarification. 

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Guest Brooke said:

The president of our Board believes that they have the authority to make executive decisions unilaterally impacting the Chapter. 

Who is this "they" that you referred to several times? Are you referring  to the board or to a single individual, such as the president? If you are referring to a single individual, please use the pronoun "he" or "she".  When you use the pronoun "they", we think you are referring to a group of people such as the board. 

2 hours ago, Guest Brooke said:

This is not delineated in our bylaws and to my knowledge is not granted by Robert's Rules but would love if someone can confirm or provide clarification. 

The first part of this sentence is the key. Officers have such powers as are given to them in the bylaws. Thus, the President has such powers as are given in the bylaws, and no more. The only exception would be if a person or body (such as a board) both has a power, and has the power to delegate said power, and chooses to delegate it to the President. Failing that, the President has no inherent unilateral power to make decisions.

Sometimes, officers act in excess of their powers, in the hopes that the appropriate body will later agree with them. When doing so, they run the risk that the deliberative body will not agree, and they will face discipline.

Note: This answer depends on the assumption that "they" means the President. If there is a board involved (as in, the President thinks that the board has unilateral powers...) then the answer will probably still be that powers must be in the bylaws, but some details might change. 

49 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

The first part of this sentence is the key. Officers have such powers as are given to them in the bylaws. Thus, the President has such powers as are given in the bylaws, and no more. The only exception would be if a person or body (such as a board) both has a power, and has the power to delegate said power, and chooses to delegate it to the President. Failing that, the President has no inherent unilateral power to make decisions.

Sometimes, officers act in excess of their powers, in the hopes that the appropriate body will later agree with them. When doing so, they run the risk that the deliberative body will not agree, and they will face discipline.

Note: This answer depends on the assumption that "they" means the President. If there is a board involved (as in, the President thinks that the board has unilateral powers...) then the answer will probably still be that powers must be in the bylaws, but some details might change. 

But normally a board doesn't have the power to delegate its power, or am I misremembering?

8 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

But normally a board doesn't have the power to delegate its power, or am I misremembering?

I don't think you're misremembering, I think either you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, or I'm being unclear. Ordinarily a board does not have the power to delegate. What I tried to say was that if the board has the power to delegate, and chooses to delegate to the President, then the President will have such power. I do not mean to suggest that boards ordinarily have the power to delegate unless the bylaws grant it.

14 hours ago, Guest Brooke said:

The president of our Board believes that they have the authority to make executive decisions unilaterally impacting the Chapter. My main concern is that they believe they have this ability when it comes to contentious issues. This is not delineated in our bylaws and to my knowledge is not granted by Robert's Rules but would love if someone can confirm or provide clarification. 

It is correct that nothing in RONR grants the President the authority to make “executive decisions.”

41 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

I can't tell if you art being serious, but that is a ridiculous suggestion.

Art thou?

But in seriousness, yeah, even when "they" is used as a singular pronoun, it still conjugates as plural.

Another option for the OP is to create people to fill the roles, a la cryptography's Alice and Bob.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Geiger said:

Alice and/or Bob works well enough when the actual president is nonbinary or nonexistent.

When a nonexistent president starts to make executive decisions unilaterally impacting the Chapter, then they has real problems.

Edited by Shmuel Gerber

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.