The Official RONR Q & A Forums

inquorate meeting

Leo

12 hours ago, Leo said:

image.png.ce4de23f5e6a7cfb72f0f5441ff3b158.png

The election of a secretary pro tem is allowed, since any meeting, even an inquorate one, requires both a presiding and a recording officer.

The calling of the roll is not a motion.  If a motion on which a vote is being taken is one of those permitted, then a roll-call vote is in order.  If you are referring to calling the roll for the purpose of recording attendance, then I'll first point out that RONR does not require this to be done.  If by rule or custom your organization does record attendance, then it would certainly pertain to the conduct of the meeting, since it relates directly to whether or not a quorum exists.

On the third question you may get multiple opinions, but I don't think [this one] should be allowed. It only relates to the conduct of the meeting if it should later obtain a quorum.  Adopting it before that point would be frivolous.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
Insert [words]

6 hours ago, Leo said:

Wouldn't: 1) the election of a secretary pro tem, 2) the motion to call the roll, and 3) the motion to obtain quorum constitute an agenda?

No. The election of a secretary pro tem would presumably not be a known requirement ahead of time, and there should be no need for a motion to call the roll. The chair simply announces "The Secretary will call the roll" if there is a rule or custom to do so.

If there were an Agenda, none of these things would logically to be on it, since any or all of them would need to occur before the Agenda was approved, creating a logic race of sorts.

14 hours ago, Leo said:

image.png.ce4de23f5e6a7cfb72f0f5441ff3b158.png

A.) Yes.

B.) I presume this is a roll call taken by some rule or custom of the assembly. I think this is indeed related to the conduct of the meeting.

C.) No, I don’t think so.

8 hours ago, Leo said:

Wouldn't: 1) the election of a secretary pro tem, 2) the motion to call the roll, and 3) the motion to obtain quorum constitute an agenda?

No, I don’t think the adoption of an agenda solely for these items is necessary or proper.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.