The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

Guest Dennis

21 minutes ago, Guest Dennis said:

Can a President make a motion?

Technically he may do so If he is a member of the organization, but he should not do so in order to maintain the appearance of neutrality and impartiality. It is the same reason why he should not speak and debate without relinquishing the chair. It is a firm rule and RONR that the president should not make motions or speak in debate so as to maintain his neutrality.

An exception is in board meetings and committee meetings of less than about a dozen members that follow the small board rules in RONR, where in the president may participate just like all of the other members.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited first paragraph and eliminated a double paragraph

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

An exception is in board meetings and committee meetings of less than about a dozen members that follow the small board rules in RONR, where in the president may participate just like all of the other members.

One small nuance to Mr. Brown's answer. The less formal rules that apply to small boards apply to all committees, no matter the size of the committee, unless the committee is instructed otherwise by the society. (RONR 11th ed., p. 500, lines 9-13) As well, the president is not necessarily the chair of any committee they are a member of.

Guest Dennis, see the question and answer to this frequently asked question on the main RONR website. I think it helps to answer your question. I tried to post this link yesterday when I first responded to your question,  but the website was down for updating. I believe this used to be FAQ # 1, but the frequently asked questions are apparently no longer numbered. http://robertsrules.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Edited to add: I hope the Roberts rules association or the authorship team ... whoever is in charge ...  will go back to numbering the frequently asked questions. Among other issues, I see no way to post a link to a particular question and answer. Am I overlooking something or is that no longer possible?

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Not in the version I see on my iPhone. I will try it from my laptop. The official interpretations are numbered, but not the frequently asked questions.

Yeah, ditch the Iphone and dictation app and enjoy!  Yours truly, Bob Mahvash  :) 

Edited by George Mervosh

6 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Yeah, ditch the Iphone and dictation app and enjoy!  Yours truly, Bob Mahvash  :) 

At the moment I’m watching Martyn Redgrave of the Roberts rules association declare the new 12th edition to be the official version of RONR as of 10:05 AM central time At the NAP training conference. But as soon as I can take a break from that, I will try it on my laptop.

Can confirm: The numbers are visible in Chrome on Windows, but not in Chrome on Android.

EDIT: The numbers are visible in Chrome on Android on my tablet but not on my phone, so it likely has to do with the screen size rather than the browser.

Edited by Benjamin Geiger

I just checked the main RONR website from my laptop. The frequently asked questions are indeed numbered on the view from my laptop, but they are not numbered as I view the website from my iPhone. I don’t know what it looks like from an android or from a tablet. Perhaps others can advise us. I would think the website would modified so that the questions appear numbered regardless of the device being used for viewing their website.  The lack of numbering and having a specific link to each question and answer makes it hard to answer questions by referring to the Q & A. 

1 hour ago, Rob Elsman said:

My copy of the 12th edition is on the stagecoach.  It will arrive when it arrives, depending on how hard the horses are driven and the number of times it is held up by bandits.

Seeing as how the 12th edition is in pretty high demand at the moment, I would say stage coach robbery is a distinct possibility!

FYI, at today’s NAP training conference one member of the authorship team, I believe it was Shmuel Gerber, said that there will be a searchable CD ROM version similar to that for the 11th edition but that it will not be out until early 2021. As I’m sure most of you know, the 12th edition will also be available in an e-book format on kindle

On 8/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, Richard Brown said:

I just checked the main RONR website from my laptop. The frequently asked questions are indeed numbered on the view from my laptop, but they are not numbered as I view the website from my iPhone. I don’t know what it looks like from an android or from a tablet. Perhaps others can advise us. I would think the website would modified so that the questions appear numbered regardless of the device being used for viewing their website.  The lack of numbering and having a specific link to each question and answer makes it hard to answer questions by referring to the Q & A. 

If you turn your phone sideways to 'landscape" mode so that it's wider than it is tall (like a tv screen) then the numbers show up. At least, they did for me on my Samsung phone.

34 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

If you turn your phone sideways to 'landscape" mode so that it's wider than it is tall (like a tv screen) then the numbers show up. At least, they did for me on my Samsung phone.

I tried that yesterday, and it makes no difference. I do get a wider view, but the numbers for the frequently asked questions still do not show up. In addition, it is impossible now to post a link to a specific question. You can post the link to the entire list of frequently asked questions but not to a specific question.  Therefore, when we are referring to, say, FAQ # 20 regarding removal of officers, we can no longer link to just that question but only to the list itself. Or we can do an actual copy and paste of the entire question and answer.

So now we have to either post the link to the entire list and tell people to scroll down to the bottom (or to a particular question) or we can do a copy and paste of the particular question and answer we are referencing. 

Edited to add: to see what I mean, click on the link to FAQ # 2 that Hieu Huynh posted as part of his answer to the question what is the difference between an Officer and an ex officio member. Although it appears to be a link to FAQ number two, it actually just links to the entire list of frequently asked questions. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

1 hour ago, Rob Elsman said:

That's very interesting, Mr. Brown.  I had no trouble with my new Chromebook.  Is your browser up-to-date?

The problem is only with my iPhone 6 and yes, it is up-to-date with all of the iPhone system updates. I have no problem viewing the frequently asked question numbers on my windows based laptop, but it is still impossible to post a link to a particular question. You can link only to the entire list of frequently asked questions. I will try accessing the forum after a while from my wife’s android phone and see what it’s like. She has never been to the RONR Website on it. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added “Windows-based” To my laptop description

6 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

I just tried that on my wife's Samsung android phone and it worked: I can see the numbers if I turn the phone sideways for "landscape" view.  But, not with my i-phone.  No matter what I do, there are no numbers on the FAQ's.   But, speaking of turning the phone sideways, those of us who are regulars might be learning that we can do that, but how many guests, visitors and members who post only occasionally are going to even think of it?  Very few, I would think... almost none of them.  And there is still the issue of not being able to post a link to a particular FAQ, but only to the list of FAQ's.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.