The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending a motion

Guest Marilyn

Member 1 makes a motion that is seconded by another member.  A third member wants to amend the motion.  Can member 1 refuse to accept the ammendment?

Member 1 can decline to accept the modification as long as the motion in question has not been stated by the chair, thereby placing the motion before the assembly.  If the chair has stated the question, the motion belongs to the assembly itself and that third member may offer an amendment.  At this point the original maker has no right of refusal in the matter.

Just to be sure-

Is it possible for the original motion maker and seconder to refuse to accept an amendment.  

No.

Once the question is before the assembly, the original maker of the motion has no more rights with respect to the motion than any member (and the seconder is completely irrelevant).  At that point the maker can't even withdraw the motion without permission, much less interfere with the amendment process.

This stuff about checking with the maker (and sometimes seconder) to see if amendments are okay with them is a persistent misconception--but a  misconception nonethteless.

• 3 weeks later...

Motion to Amend Constitution, to change gender specific language to gender neutral (under a 30 day notice).

All gender terms such as: Man, his, him, he or she - each instance is listed, crossed out and changed for gender neutral terms. However the term Chairman was not included in the original motion posted 30 days prior.

Question, can the motion be amended to include changing Chairman to Chair?  

Under Amendments of Constitutions, RONR says that "no amendment is in order that increases the modification of the rule to be amended". I interpret this to mean no "new" word changes can be made. Existing changes contain within the original motion may be further revised, but wholly new ones, can not be added. 

What do you folks think?      

Under Amendments of Constitutions, RONR says that "no amendment is in order that increases the modification of the rule to be amended". I interpret this to mean no "new" word changes can be made. Existing changes contain within the original motion may be further revised, but wholly new ones, can not be added. 

What do you folks think?      

I think that if the scope of the amendment is a wholesale change of titles to gender neutral, that adding a change of chairman to chair remains within that scope.

I don't see why not. 

But I also don't see the point in the first place.  "Madame Chairman" is perfectly acceptable language.

Just please don't change "penmanship" to "penwomanship".

I tend to agree. The word "man" originated from a word that referred to the human race, whereas the word "woman" originated from the word for wife and the word for the human race. Essentially, "wife" + "man". As such, the word "Chairman" is gender neutral, just as "penmanship" is gender neutral.

lennycowles, I'll agree that this is a fine, if flawed, sentiment; but, do you have a citation for this quotation?

What do you folks think?      

That is from page 595, ll. 3-8. which deals with amendments to the motion to amend the bylaws if notice has been given, etc. I think that if notice is given that the intent of the changes are to make the bylaws gender neutral but they left out something in the changes listed, amending the motion to include those things left out but meet the intent would not be going beyond the notice.

What do you folks think?      

First of all, when quoting it is best to quote accurately. What is said on page 595 is:

"If the bylaws require previous notice for their amendment (as they should), or if they do not but notice has been given and a majority of the entire membership is not present, no amendment to a bylaw amendment is in order that increases the modification of the article or provision to be amended (see Standard Characteristic 6, p. 306)."

The information provided in post #6 concerning the notice which was given is not clear enough to answer the question asked. If the only notice given was a set of strike-out and insertions, then I think that the answer to the question asked in post #6 is no.

lennycowles, I'll agree that this is a fine, if flawed, sentiment; but, do you have a citation for this quotation?

That is from page 595, ll. 3-8....

Mr. Fish, as "Gary c Tesser" said, it's a fine sentiment.  But Mr. Cowles used quotation marks, so we were looking to get the source of his quotation.

Which, as Mr. Honemann pointed out, p. 595, lines 3 - 8, is not.

OF course, it might be that Mr. Cowles intended a paraphrase of p. 595, which his rendering in post 10 indeed faintly resembles; and he might have been intending to use quasi-quotes to show this.  But quasi-quotes are out of vogue (easy to do with a typewriter, superimposing a hyphen under the open- and close-quotation marks, but tricky for basic computer users), so I can suppose a lapse on his part.

For that matter, I kinda agree, as apparently does Member Guest* in post 8 and frequently elsewhere, about "Madam Chairman".  (Post 14 misses the point, but its a common error.)

______

*I'm waiting for some wag to register here as "Guest".  And then to forget his password and have to post as the new real, one-and-only, Guest_Guest, unless the website registers him or her as Guest_"Guest"_Guest and explodes the Internet for three days like Dr. Seabold did last time about Reconsider.

______

*I'm waiting for some wag to register here as "Guest".  And then to forget his password and have to post as the new real, one-and-only, Guest_Guest, unless the website registers him or her as Guest_"Guest"_Guest and explodes the Internet for three days like Dr. Seabold did last time about Reconsider.

The pseudo-guest Edgar Guest appears to have guessed how to do so.

You might register as his pseudo-significant other Nancy N. Guest.

But bear in mind Dorothy Parker's assertion:  "I'd rather flunk my Wasserman test / Than read the poetry of Edgar Guest".

Mr. Fish, as "Gary c Tesser" said, it's a fine sentiment.  But Mr. Cowles used quotation marks, so we were looking to get the source of his quotation.

Which, as Mr. Honemann pointed out, p. 595, lines 3 - 8, is not.

lennycowles: "no amendment is in order that increases the modification of the rule to be amended"

RONR pg 595: "no amendment to a bylaw amendment is in order that increases the modification of the article or provision to be amended."

I agree his quoting skills appear to be lacking, but no English professor would take issue if he'd written it as:

"no amendment...is in order that increases the modification of the [rule] to be amended."

Perhaps he needs to buy a copy of The Chicago Manual of Style to go along with his copy of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, but it seems pretty clear that that is what he was quoting.

I didn't learn from "no English professor", nor from the Chicago Manual, or any other, what a quotation is, when I was 8 or 11 or so; did you?

... but it seems pretty clear that that is what he was quoting.

No, it was what he was almost quoting.  But OK.

Archived