The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Another Censure question

Guest Curious

Such a motion is treated just like any other main motion.

The "accused" member has as much right to enter into debate on the motion as does any other member. Although he probably should refrain from voting on the motion, he cannot be compelled to do so (RONR, 11th ed., p. 407, l. 21 to p. 408, l. 7).

Such a motion is treated just like any other main motion.

The "accused" member has as much right to enter into debate on the motion as does any other member. Although he probably should refrain from voting on the motion, he cannot be compelled to do so (RONR, 11th ed., p. 407, l. 21 to p. 408, l. 7).

Can he move to strike censure and insert commend? 

Sure, if he/she has enough chutzpah.

(And trusts having a fair number of friends in the meeting.)

So, let's say the offense in question is ongoing, multiple personal attacks (some lengthy and vicious), and also public shaming through implication of multiple wrongdoings, with the 'threat' of evidence in possesion (but refuses to produce it upon request, but the public name-smearing and personal image and self esteem damage had already been done)

How could one's 'friends' possibly commend such acts?

So, let's say the offense in question is ongoing, multiple personal attacks (some lengthy and vicious), and also public shaming through implication of multiple wrongdoings, with the 'threat' of evidence in possesion (but refuses to produce it upon request, but the public name-smearing and personal image and self esteem damage had already been done)

We just answer questions about the rules here. What your society should do about what's going on is for your society to work out. As a matter of parliamentary law, if a motion to censure is pending, it is in order for a member to move to strike the word "censure" and insert the word "commend." In most circumstances, it seems fairly unlikely that such a motion will succeed, but that's a separate question.

To Mr. Mervosh's question, I believe it is even in order for the member who is the target of the proposed motion to censure to do this, but it's probably not the best idea.

Right, but wouldn't they need to say why such acts are commendable?

Well, they don't need to, but if they don't make a case for their amendment in debate, then the chances of it being adopted seem even slimmer.

By including, if the friends choose to (note the pithy accuracy in Edgar Guest's reply), in the motion  to change "censure" to "amend," the reasons that the smearing and shaming and ax-murdering were justified, appropriate, perhaps rendered more in sorrow than in anger (snif sob), and actually an exercise in self-restraint, having not mentioned the dead puppies and kittens.  For that matter, the original motion to change "censure" to "amend" need not have mentioned all these reasons at all:  the opportunity to amend the motion, to perfect it (Reg. Penna. Dept. Agr.), is available until the main motion itself is conclusively voted on and thereby disposed of, notwithstanding not then either.

I will point out, notwithstanding (O, my favorite word of the day, at least as of 7 AM) Josh Martin's endearingly characteristic dewy-eyed Pollyannish assurance that we just answer questions about the rules here, that maybe censure isn't nearly commensurate with the offenses.  But that might reflect my innate inclination to pugnacity, which has got me in trouble all the time and I'm always trying to moderate it down to just punching someone in a bar with a beer bottle.

• 3 years later...
On 8/6/2015 at 6:51 AM, Guest Nancy N. said:

By including, if the friends choose to (note the pithy accuracy in Edgar Guest's reply), in the motion  to change "censure" to "amend," the reasons that the smearing and shaming and ax-murdering were justified, appropriate, perhaps rendered more in sorrow than in anger (snif sob), and actually an exercise in self-restraint, having not mentioned the dead puppies and kittens.  For that matter, the original motion to change "censure" to "amend" need not have mentioned all these reasons at all:  the opportunity to amend the motion, to perfect it (Reg. Penna. Dept. Agr.), is available until the main motion itself is conclusively voted on and thereby disposed of, notwithstanding not then either.

I will point out, notwithstanding (O, my favorite word of the day, at least as of 7 AM) Josh Martin's endearingly characteristic dewy-eyed Pollyannish assurance that we just answer questions about the rules here, that maybe censure isn't nearly commensurate with the offenses.  But that might reflect my innate inclination to pugnacity, which has got me in trouble all the time and I'm always trying to moderate it down to just punching someone in a bar with a beer bottle.

Nosey's resurrection of this old thread is welcome only because it gives us a chance to read this once again.

On 8/5/2015 at 7:45 PM, Edgar Guest said:

"could and could"?

And why do you think this person was male?

"could, and could."

The motion that "Member X be censured for insulting nuns" could be amended to "Member X be commended for insulting nuns."  I probably wouldn't vote for the amended version, but it would be in order. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.