The Official RONR Q & A Forums

misguided club

Guest bob

12 minutes ago, Guest bob said:

can a social club operate legally without a vice-president, secretary, and treasurer?

According to RONR, the minimum officers necessary for a deliberative society (an organization) to conduct business are a presiding officer and a secretary or clerk.  Of course, you should have whatever officers your bylaws call for, but having one or more vacancies does not mean that you suddenly cannot conduct any business.  You should simply fill the vacancies as soon as possible. 

Edited to add:  If your organization is incorporated, state law might require that the organization have certain officers.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

3 hours ago, Guest bob said:

can a social club operate legally without a vice-president, secretary, and treasurer?

I concur with the above responses, and would add that until the office of Secretary is filled, a Secretary Pro Tempore will need to be elected at each meeting (or for a longer period, if previous notice is given of the election).

5 hours ago, Guest bob said:

Can a social club operate legally without a vice-president, secretary, and treasurer?

In theory if 100% of your elected officers were to die simultaneously, the organization would still continue.

You would put in place:

• A pro tem chair.

• A pro tem secretary.

• a pro tem treasurer.

You don't automatically dissolve as an organization, if that is what you feared.

1 hour ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

In theory if 100% of your elected officers were to die simultaneously, the organization would still continue.

You would put in place:

• A pro tem chair.

• A pro tem secretary.

• a pro tem treasurer.

You don't automatically dissolve as an organization, if that is what you feared.

And then start reading the By-laws about holding a special meeting to fill the vacancies.

7 hours ago, Guest bob said:

Legally, I don't know as I am not a lawyer.   But from a parliamentary point of view the organization can do so as long as a Secretary pro tem is elected at each meeting.  Of course, these three positions could be combined - one person can hold any two of those positions, or all three, depending on the amount of work required for each position.  And in some organizations, the positions of Secretary-Treasurer are combined into one position anyway.

3 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

You would put in place:

• A pro tem chair.

• A pro tem secretary.

• a pro tem treasurer.

What is this "Pro Tem Treasurer" you speak of?

>> What is this "Pro Tem Treasurer" you speak of?

If the treasurer dies, and if no election is possible before bills are due, then, nonetheless, the organization is still obligated to pay its bills, and the organization is still free to pay its vendors, even if no elected treasurer is in place.

In such a case, the organization will need a place-holder party to write the checks, until a proper election can be held to fill the vacancy of treasurer.

Who is this place-holder party? -- It would be a pro tem treasurer. -- A person who is authorized to pay the bills of the organization until the vacancy is filled.

Remember, some large organizations can take months to fill a vacancy. In those months, the bills which are due in 21-28 days will risk becoming overdue.

6 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

>> What is this "Pro Tem Treasurer" you speak of?

If the treasurer dies, and if no election is possible before bills are due, then, nonetheless, the organization is still obligated to pay its bills, and the organization is still free to pay its vendors, even if no elected treasurer is in place.

In such a case, the organization will need a place-holder party to write the checks, until a proper election can be held to fill the vacancy of treasurer.

Who is this place-holder party? -- It would be a pro tem treasurer. -- A person who is authorized to pay the bills of the organization until the vacancy is filled.

Remember, some large organizations can take months to fill a vacancy. In those months, the bills which are due in 21-28 days will risk becoming overdue.

Even assuming this is necessary (large organizations usually have people other than the treasurer authorized to write checks, such as other officers, or staff members) I think giving a person who is simply authorized to write checks the title of "Treasurer Pro Tempore" is misleading. The offices of Chairman Pro Tempore and Secretary Pro Tempore refer to officers which serve solely in the context of meetings.

On 12/28/2016 at 7:07 PM, Josh Martin said:

Even assuming this is necessary (large organizations usually have people other than the treasurer authorized to write checks, such as other officers, or staff members) I think giving a person who is simply authorized to write checks the title of "Treasurer Pro Tempore" is misleading. The offices of Chairman Pro Tempore and Secretary Pro Tempore refer to officers which serve solely in the context of meetings.

I do too.  Why can't one of the remaining Board members simply not take on the position of 'Treasurer' if for no other reason than to write cheques.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:09 AM, Rev Ed said:

I do too.  Why can't one of the remaining Board members simply not take on the position of 'Treasurer' if for no other reason than to write cheques.

I assume that "not" shouldn't be there. Mr. Goldsworthy's hypothetical situation was regarding an organization where the process of filling vacancies is lengthy, and was referring to having someone write checks until the vacancy can be filled.

45 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I assume that "not" shouldn't be there. Mr. Goldsworthy's hypothetical situation was regarding an organization where the process of filling vacancies is lengthy, and was referring to having someone write checks until the vacancy can be filled.

I agree.  Rev Ed's statement doesn't make much sense with the word "not" in there.

On 12/27/2016 at 10:28 AM, Guest bob said:

Guest Bob, does your organization have a vice president, secretary and treasurer now?  You haven't weighed in since your original post. It would help us if you would give us more information on what the situation or issue is. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.