The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to handle a tabled item

montylee

An item on our agenda came up. A motion was made to approve it, seconded and discussion. During the discussion it was determined that we were missing something. So a motion to lay on the table until next meeting (I believe it should have been a motion to postpone, but it was made to table). It was seconded and passed unanimously.

So when it comes up next meeting, how should we proceed if we wanted to follow Robert’s? Does someone make a motion to bring from the table, or is it implied since the motion to table specified the next meeting, is it already “there” for discussion on the agenda? (Is is the same if the item was postponed to the next meeting? Does it need a motion to be brought up at the next meeting?)

Also, since there was a motion and second to approve it before it was tabled, is that motion still active when we discuss it? Or does someone need to again make a motion to approve the item.

Since it would be best (and a "teaching opportunity") to treat the "table" motion as actually a motion to postpone (which it was), the chair should bring up the motion as a "General Order" -- see page 26 (and 358) in RONR for where General Orders fit in the standard order of business.

Hint:  Right after Committee Reports and before "New Business"  (unless there are Special Orders around too, but let us not get into that quagmire here).

I agree with the previous responses. Regardless of the fact that the motion was called a motion to lay on  the table, it was in reality a motion to postpone to a definite time and I would treat it that way. It should come up automatically under unfinished business and general orders.

I'm surprised that someone actually called it a motion to lay on the table rather than just a motion to table! Assuming that is actually what the motion was, at least the member who made it knew better than to make a motion to "table" the pending motion!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.