The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Full names in minutes

Quest

Our secretary records a roll call of attendees, full names, at the start of the minutes. When motions are made he only references the first name which corresponds with the confirmed attendee. So Jane Doe is recorded present, and Jane made a motion is in the body. A member has stated our minutes are not in legal compliance because the full name is not stated in responses.  I am not asking about the legal pov, just what Robert's Rules requires.   Thank you

On 12/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, Quest said:

Jane Doe is recorded present, and Jane made a motion is in the body.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:14 PM, George Mervosh said:

it needs to absolutely clear who made the motion

If there's only one Jane in attendance, their current practice would satisfy that need (similarly, so would Ms. Doe, as long as Jane's sister Jennifer isn't also in attendance).

I agree that you want to be able to identify the particular individual, but however you do that, I'm not too fussed how that is done (eg: Jane, Ms. Doe, Owner of Unit 112, etc).

On 12/13/2023 at 1:14 PM, George Mervosh said:

I think it needs to absolutely clear who made the motion.  I recommend using the full name if your group is not comfortable with the Mr/Mrs/Ms thing along with the last name.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, Quest said:

Sounds like recommended, but is it required? 

On 12/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, Quest said:

Our secretary records a roll call of attendees, full names, at the start of the minutes. When motions are made he only references the first name which corresponds with the confirmed attendee. So Jane Doe is recorded present, and Jane made a motion is in the body. A member has stated our minutes are not in legal compliance because the full name is not stated in responses.  I am not asking about the legal pov, just what Robert's Rules requires.   Thank you

Nothing in Robert's Rules requires that the full name of the mover of a motion be recorded in the minutes.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:30 PM, Atul Kapur said:

I agree that you want to be able to identify the particular individual, but however you do that, I'm not too fussed how that is done (eg: Jane, Ms. Doe, Owner of Unit 112, etc).

The rule in RONR 48:5 is that "The name of the maker of a main motion should be entered in the minutes…"

"Owner of Unit 112" is probably not anyone's name. But I will concede that nothing in RONR says you should be too fussed if the maker of a motion is not identified by name in the minutes. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:23 AM, J. J. said:

Considering that I once cited, in 2001, the results of a vote of the Convocation of Canterbury on March 31, 1534, it is quite possible.  ;)

The results of the vote could certainly be of interest, but I wouldn't give a plugged nickel to know that the mover was "Keith" or whoever.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.